Advanced Practice Provider – Carmel, IN
Works under the direct supervision of a physician as permitted by the laws in the state of Indiana as a first assistant in surgery or in patient clinic. The APP in Neurosurgery assists the supervising surgeon in the management of patients and performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under the supervision of the surgeon. The APP works closely and assists the surgeon in providing quality, efficient and continuous and cost-effective care during the patient’s hospitalization and in the outpatient setting.
Designated an Indianapolis Star Top Workplace multiple times (INCLUDING 2020), Goodman Campbell Brain and Spine offers a rewarding work environment with many opportunities for growth in a fast-paced, progressive corporation with multiple office locations. We offer competitive salaries and benefits. Health, Dental, and Vision insurance, Disability, Employee Assistance, Personal Time Off (PTO), 401K and Profit Sharing Plan are some of the exceptional benefits offered. If you share a commitment to providing quality patient care in a supportive team environment we invite you to apply to the Goodman Campbell team where these qualities are valued and rewarded.
- Take detailed patient medical histories
- Perform and record physical examinations
- Diagnose and make decisions for the treatment of patients
- First Assists competently without continual prompting
- Operates equipment correctly
- Anticipates needs of surgeon and case
- Recognizes individual surgeon and preferences
- Assist in preparation of a patient for procedure
- Sutures correctly and proficiently
- Ties suture (instrument & two hand)
- Applies proper dressings
- Evaluate patients on daily rounds, the emergency department, and inpatient settings
- Initiate therapy, prescribe medicine, give vaccinations
- Order lab tests, x-rays, and other diagnostic studies
- Counsel patients on preventive care and/or medical problems
- Write appropriate admission orders (including nursing care, medication orders, laboratory and radiological examinations, and obtain consultations approved by the surgeon).
- Review pertinent abnormal findings in the patient’s history, physical examination, radiological and laboratory data with the surgeon, and obtain appropriate consultation, additional laboratory or radiological studies as needed, and initiate appropriate medical intervention.
- Record in progress notes pertinent findings from history, physical examination, laboratory studies, and radiological examination.
- Write appropriate postoperative orders including general and specific nursing care, medications, including controlled substances for analgesia and sedation, laboratory and radiological studies.
- Attend the patient in the early postoperative period
- Initiate treatment of postoperative complications advising the attending surgeon of unexpected events, providing an accurate synopsis of events related to a major change in the patient’s condition and describing corrective measures already taken.
- Daily assessment of patients postoperative course, write note of patients progress in chart as it pertains to the supervising physician- and implement indicated therapy as determined by the supervising physician.
- Complete discharge paper and summaries.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to make good decisions
- Critical listening skills and ability to communicate clearly
- Commitment to update skills constantly and proficient use of resources
- Ability to develop and implement educational plans
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation, collaboration, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Requires the ability to handle the pressure of life-threatening situations
- Ability to keep detailed records
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of health promotion and maintenance with ability to teach those principles to others
- Strong Pharmacology, anatomy, and physiology
- Desire to work with all types of people and work as a team member
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to first assist in the surgical arena
- Good eye/hand coordination and precision
- Adept at suturing and ligature ties
- Strong knowledge of aseptic technique
- In-depth knowledge of surgical instruments and equipment
Educational and Experience Required
- Master’s degree (Master of Arts, Master of Science) for PA or (Master’s in Science of Nursing) for NP is required
- Pass the exam administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. (PA-C) or board certification for NP
- Maintain one hundred hours of Continuing Education every two years to retain certification. A recertification exam must be passed every ten years for PA
Please send a copy of your resume and the position you are interested in to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.